Thursday 31 January 2008

Making Progress

Having made a really good start with The Rubbish Diet, I have spent this week trying to eek out the food, avoid any form of packaging and protect the bin from suffering any form of contact with Mr A and the almost average juniors.

The Zero Waste challenge is beginning to feel like a real diet, where there is always the benefit of eating a lot less and exercising a lot more for those few days just before the weekly weigh-in, but that's where the similarity ends....I draw the line at jogging around the estate with my black bin in tow. It's mad enough just having a blog about rubbish. What would people think!

Anyway, it's going very well and I am encouraged by the progress even though I won't really see the fruits of our labours until bin collection day on Monday. So, between now and then, I am even more determined to keep on track and have focused again on my shopping habits.

I have made further inroads since I first discussed the topic of shopping last week and have reassessed our use of my favourite supermarket, where I shop weekly either in person or online.

This week I have avoided doing the typical weekly shop. Instead, I took the opportunity of dropping into a farm shop near Westley, en route to Ickworth House, a local National Trust property near Bury St Edmunds. It was a great opportunity to buy a whole selection of fruit and vegetables, which were just placed into my basket with no packaging in sight, with the exception of a few paper bags that can be easily composted. As the Farm Shop is open until 6pm in the evening, it also means that it is accessible to people who work 9-5pm.

There was a great selection of produce and it was reasonably priced. It was also more fun for a three year old than the supermarket, even if it does have a child-sized trolley. Having bundled the toy tractor into the boot of the car offered some additional amusement and we were in and out of the shop in just over 5 minutes. It must have been the most relaxed shopping experience I've had in a long time.



With that said, I enjoyed a quick nip into Waitrose whilst in town this afternoon, to pick up some more essentials. Top of the list was more celery, or rather a load of celery. Remember....this IS a diet after all and I've found celery to be a top food in bulking out my homemade concoctions and amazingly the little one just can't get enough of eating it raw.

After the trip to the farm shop, we drove off for a tractor ride around Ickworth park....and guess what we saw....


I think the word's got around and I am now being stalked!

____________________________________________________________________

2 comments:

Layla said...

lol I can't believe noone's commented on this yet!! :)

"Having made a really good start with The Rubbish Diet, I have spent this week trying to eek out the food, avoid any form of packaging and protect the bin from suffering any form of contact with Mr A and the almost average juniors."Excellent advice, & it seems quite essential! /sigh/

love the little tractor too - does the shop offer it as 'distraction for kiddies'? - what a brilliant marketing strategy!

I wish we had something like this shop here too!!

Almost Mrs Average said...

LOL Layla - those were the days when I was most defintely tackling the challenge alone and desperately looking for some zero waste company.

The tractor was our own. I put it in the boot to make a real occasion of our visit. And it was a real treat for little T, who was only 3 at the time. I can't believe he's going to be 5 soon. Growing up very quickly. :-D xx

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin