Saturday 19 April 2008

Bin there, darn that, and even bartered the T-shirt

I'd like to extend a warm welcome to readers of The Times, who have found the blog in today's Body & Soul supplement, as well as a huge thank you to columnist Anna Shepard for the mention in her Eco-Worrier section.

What a busy few months it's been since I started my council's Zero Waste challenge three months ago. Did I say three months...?

That means for a whole quarter of the year, I've been talking rubbish!

Who could have guessed there would be so much to talk about. Even curiouser, who would have thought it would get into the papers, the radio and on TV or that I would be interviewing Oliver Heath about his own recycling habits.

Anyway, for one week I'm going to ditch the trash-talk and avoid all forms of temptation to touch the subject.

It's not that I don't like it, it's more that I love it so much that I can't stop, whether it's the chat, the blog or indeed the offline ideas. However there are times when a woman has to think about other things, not least her children, husband, cats...oh yes and herself. And don't forget the cake! Cake is important too.

So as it's International Downshifting Week, I've decided to follow some top advice and slow down, take a few days off and spend some extra time with my family and friends, doing lots of fun things.

I'm also going to volunteer some of my time to help out in the world beyond the giant, at my son's primary school, which is very exciting indeed.

Then there's the big clear out. Being the Queen of Clutter, I need to look after my husband's interests, especially as he prefers the minimalist look. So a declutter exercise is on the cards! If the folks from my local Freecycle or LETS group are looking in, you can expect a few give-aways being advertised very soon.

So what are the chances of me staying away from the blog?

Probably as likely as staying off the chocolate, but I'll have a go.

However, if like me you are a rubbishoholic and you need some extra inspiration to keep you going, there will be plenty to keep you entertained. While I am away, feel free to have a nosey around the blog, where if you're a newcomer, you can find out how things went during Zero Waste Week and how I managed to get away with just one plaster.

If you still want more info, Peter at Junkk Male will keep you up-to-date with all things current. For an international feel, it's also worth having a peek at Say No To Trash in Canada as well as America's Wasted Food.

However, please don't forget Bury St Edmunds' very own Ruby (and my very own 'guinea pig'), who is following her own Rubbish Dietplan. Ruby has written an update on her progress. As I'm off this week, you'll be able to find it on her own blog, Living in Bury St Edmunds. If you get a chance, please pop over and encourage her along...I know she will appreciate your help.

So while I am relaxing, please feel free to comment and chat amongst yourselves. Just keep it clean and above board. I will return even more enthused to share my latest rubbish news, including details of another volunteer who is attempting to slim her bin.

In the meantime, I'm grabbing a cup of tea, putting my feet up and relaxing with the paper...

Now, where was that cake?.....


____________________________________________________________________

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wowee - your famous! I'm so proud of you for appearing in the paper; you must be delighted.

You definitely deserve a well earned break after all you have done.

Have a wonderful time downshifting and enjoy that cake.

Love and light,
Mrs Green x

Joyce said...

What a clever title! Hope you have a great week!

Anonymous said...

Miss you already......X

Rosie said...

Congratulations on the mention, I feel very proud on your behalf!

Cybèle said...

Only a matter of time before you went national ;-) Enjoy the week off!

Almost Mrs Average said...

Mrs Green helllooo. The cake was very nice, lots of it all week. Thanks very much for all your support. I'll catch up soon to see how you are coming along. ;-D

Hi Joyce - The title did take a bit of working out, but with the help of a glass of wine, which made it much easier.

Aw Baba Thanks - you'll see you've got a special mention in the latest post...enjoy.

Hi Rosie - Thank you so much. How did your Zero Waste Day go by the way?

Hi Cybèle - Thank you. Of course, I owe it all to your tip off to the WH team. ;-D

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin