Monday 5 January 2009

It's time to SnaffleUp some new year goodies


Today I'm taking time-out from the garden to introduce you to Chris Toynbee, founder of SnaffleUp, a new free recycling website that's going head-to-head with Freecycle. Chris contacted me in December after having a chat with Mrs Green over at MyZeroWaste. It was a great opportunity to invite Chris to tell us more about his new site which has already reached almost 2000 members.

Of course, I couldn't let him go without telling us about his own rubbish. So here's Chris on SnaffleUp, recycling and slimming bins.



What was the inspiration behind SnaffleUp?

The inspiration came from my frustrations with another recycling site. I felt there was a need for a easy to use recycling site that could constantly improved with new features and information about recycling in the UK.


How does SnaffleUp stand out from the other sites?

Firstly it's a lot easier to use. There is a simple registration process. You can add an item with up to 3 pictures in a few seconds. You can also customise how many emails you wish to receive by setting up email alerts for items that interest you and are in your area. No need to receive emails of every item listed. You can also instantly see how far away items are from your home.


What's the most unusual item to be advertised so far?

Someone added a lobster pot to the site not long after we first launched. I'm guessing even fishermen are using the Internet to recycle!


What kind of things are you personally hoping to find on SnaffleUp?

I could definitely do with a microwave - if I find one I'll make sure I get it checked out by an electrician. We advise all SnaffleUp members to do the same with their electrical items.


Thanks Chris that's top advice...but let's start talking bins! I think it's time to reveal how much you throw away. Don't be shy now.

It's pretty small. I recycle all items possible such as glass plastic and paper. If I think something might come in handy it usually ends up in a cupboard until it comes in handy or a little later goes on SnaffleUp.


And what's the one thing you're going to do to slim your bin in 2009?

Make sure that nothing that can be used by someone else is thrown into landfill. I noticed a broken camera on SnaffleUp recently. Apparently it was snapped up by someone looking for camera parts!

***

Huge thanks to Chris for taking some valuable time out for the interview. I thought I'd give SnaffleUp a work-out and have already put something up this morning. So why don't you pop over to www.snaffleup.co.uk to see if you can work out what it is. Here's a clue - they're brown and belong to Mr A.

Happy guessing!

Oh...and if you're a tweeter, twitterer or whatever...don't forget you can follow SnaffleUp on Twitter and find out the latest offers added.


_____________________________________________________

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs A,

It looked a good site with mostly electrical stuff on view, with the usual Christmas discards.

You say Mr A's items were brown. Were they buff or tan coloured?

Rev. Peter Doodes said...

"It was a great opportunity to invite Christ to tell us more about his new site which has already reached almost 2000 members."

I know you have very good contacts indeed Mrs. A, but if you have had a chat with Him can you let me have His phone number!

Joking apart though, its a good site and certainly more user friendly than Freecycle.

Almost Mrs Average said...

Hi John - yes I spotted a lot of electricals too which is great as those items are often just discarded or hidden in the loft. Now as for Mr A's items, they are dark brown with beige stripes. That indeed is a top notch clue :-D

LOL Peter - I picked up your message whilst out and about (wonders of modern mobile phone technology) and have been chuckling all the way home. Conversations with Mr A have been interspersed with fits of giggles. Me and my typos. There are some things that spellchecker just won't pick up or indeed my eye If He did set up a website, I can't help wondering what it would be called. Hope Chris was flattered. Anyway, typo's dealt with and I'm still suffering from the guffaws. LOLOL. The site is really easy to use isn't it. It took me just a couple of minutes to register and post the entry this morning. :-D

Anonymous said...

Great to see a mention for Snaffle Up. The site is growing all the time and I'm so pleased to see it taking off with over 2000 members. I posted up my first item today too. Let's hope there is some serious snaffling going on later :D

Gill - That British Woman said...

I just wanted to let you know I have mentioned your blog on a post I am doing on Friday (9th) on my blog.

Gill in Canada

Almost Mrs Average said...

Hi Mrs G - Chris said that you'd recommended me...LOL. I'm now going to have to nip over to see if I can have a stab at finding your item :-D

Hi Gill - thanks so much. I'm looking forward to reading it. It's lovely to see you over on the site and thanks so much for your advice so far. I appreciate it. :-D

Related Posts Widget for Blogs by LinkWithin